skip to Main Content
Rights Of Foreigners In Russia

Rights of foreigners in Russia

A few words about the rights of foreigners in Russia in the sphere of the family law.

I talk about the rights that the foreigners have in the sphere of the family law in Russia, especially about the international marriage between a Russian citizen and a citizen of a foreign country. In my opinion, every foreign citizen must know his/her legal options in Russia. This knowledge will help to protect his/her rights and ultimately achieve justice. Like Francis Bacon, the English philosopher, said, “Knowledge is power”.

Let’s begin…

The first thing I want to draw your attention to is the International law.

The Russian Federation is a full participant in international legal relations with many countries. Russia has concluded different legal cooperation agreements with many counties. Our government must adhere to its obligations. Even more, the international legal standards dominate the national legislation, which is stated in the Constitution of the Russian Federation, the main law of Russia.

The most painful topic in the relationships of the former spouses is the children issue. A second parent, the citizen of Russia, could “kidnap” a child and take him to Russia without the other parent’s permission. However, based on the Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (25 October 1980), this is not always reasonable.

In Russia, there is a settled judicial practice in similar cases: children are often returned to the place of their permanent residence, such as Germany, Lithuania, and other countries. Besides, a foreign citizen has the right to regularly communicate with his child: both in person and via the internet or phone.

The second thing I would like you to know is the national statutes.

A foreign citizen and a citizen of Russia have equal rights in Russia. This means that a foreign citizen may defend himself using the same legal mechanisms as a citizen of Russia.

Any person regardless of his/her race, language, etc. can divorce, file for child support, determine the child’s place of residence (with which parent the child will live), file a statement of claim for division of matrimonial property, and much more.

Of course, I cannot tell you everything right now, but the most important is that you are not restricted in asserting your rights in Russia. You can go to the court, the police, the Department of custody and guardianship, etc.

If you have any questions regarding your situation, please contact us by available contact information, and I will be glad to help you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top